Detailseite wird geladen...
In recent years, Maria Edgeworth (1768-1849) has been the subject of increasing interest. A woman, a member of the landholding elite, an educator, and a daughter who lived under the historical shadow of her father, Edgeworth's life is difficult to categorize. Ironically, these very aspects of Edgeworth's identity that once excluded her from literary and historical discussions now form the basis of current interest in her life and her writing. This collection of essays builds on existing scholarship to develop new perspectives about Edgeworth's place in English and Irish history, literary history, and women's history. These essays explore the ways in which Edgeworth's entire adult life was an attempt to reconcile the irreconcilable, an attempt to justify and preserve her own privileged position even as she acknowledged the tenuousness of that position and as she sought to claim other privileges denied her. Christopher Fauske is the assistant dean in the School of Arts & Science at Salem State College, Salem, Massachusetts. Heidi Kaufman is assistant Professor of English at the University of Delaware. Books Poetry and Drama~~Literature - History & Criticism~~Literary Studies: General An Uncomfortable Authority~~Book~~9780874138788 This collection of essays builds on existing scholarship to develop new perspectives about Maria Edgeworth's place in English and Irish history, literary history, and women's history. They explore the ways in which Edgeworth's entire adult life was an attempt to reconcile the irreconcilable.
Shipping costs:plus shipping costs
Details of the book - An Uncomfortable Authority: Maria Edgeworth and Her Contexts
EAN (ISBN-13): 9780874138788
ISBN (ISBN-10): 0874138787
Book in our database since 20.12.2007 11:14:52
Book found last time on 24.03.2015 03:16:02
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "Global Economics: A History of the Theater Business, the Chamberlain's/King's Men, and Their Plays, 1599-1642", from "Aaron, Melissa D." (9780874138771)
- "Heroes of Empire: The British Colonial Protagonist in America, 1596-1764", from "Frohock, Richard" (0874138795)
- "Of Paradise and Light: Essays on Henry Vaughan and John Milton in Honor of Alan Rudrum", from "Donald R. Dickson, Holly Faith Nelson, Alan Rudrum" (0874138760)
- "Poetry, Signs, and Magic", from "Greene, Thomas M." (9780874138801)
- "The Culture of Epistolarity: Vernacular Letters and Letter Writing in Early Modern England, 1500-1700", from "Schneider, Gary" (9780874138757)
- "India's Shakespeare: Translation, Interpretation, and Performance", from "Poonam Trivedi, Dennis Bartholomeusz" (9780874138818)