Detailseite wird geladen...
[SR: 591714], Hardcover, [EAN: 9780876111680], Texas State Historical Association, Texas State Historical Association, Book, [PU: Texas State Historical Association], Texas State Historical Association, High school football is one of the identifying institutions of twentieth-century Texas. It is not unusual to see youthful football players placed on the same pedestal as the cowboy, oil man, or other icons of the Lone Star State. In fact, it is shaped in the image of its coaches who are, by and large, an enigma to most of us. We think of them as caricatures, men who are alternately revered and vilified (usually depending on how many games they have won recently), but they have always been members of a traditional, closed society, and we do not really know them in their complexities. Pigskin Pulpit opens the Texas high school coaching profession to historical scrutiny for the first time, examining this breed of men who shaped the game—and generations of players—in their own images. Tracing side-by-side the development of the game and the coaching profession from its beginnings to today, author Ty Cashion explains how this avocation wove itself so tightly into the fabric of Texas culture. Football fans and critics of the game alike will be drawn into this probing, analytical study that is sure to become a Texas , 14278871, State & Local, 4853, United States, 4808, Americas, 9, History, 1000, Subjects, 283155, Books, 16378, Football (American), 26, Sports & Outdoors, 1000, Subjects, 283155, Books
Gebraucht Shipping costs:plus shipping costs
1998, ISBN: 0876111681
[EAN: 9780876111680], Gebraucht, guter Zustand, [PU: Texas State Historical Association], Sports & Recreation|Football, History|United States |State & Local |General, Only lightly used. Book has minimal wear to cover and binding. A few pages may have small creases and minimal underlining.
Books Squared, Dallas, TX, U.S.A.  [Rating: 5 (von 5)]
NOT NEW BOOK Shipping costs: EUR 2.95
Texas State Historical Association. Used - Good. Shows some signs of wear, and may have some markings on the inside. 100% Money Back Guarantee. Shipped to over one million happy customers. Your purchase benefits world literacy!, Texas State Historical Association
Better World Books
Shipping costs:Versandkostenfrei (EUR 0.00)
Details of the book - Pigskin Pulpit: A Social History of Texas High School Football Coaches
EAN (ISBN-13): 9780876111680
ISBN (ISBN-10): 0876111681
Publishing year: 1998
Book in our database since 18.05.2007 19:13:47
Book found last time on 04.10.2012 14:22:55
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "A Wild and Vivid Land: An Illustrated History of the South Texas Border", from "Jerry Thompson, Anthony R, Jr. Sanchez, Brian E O'Brien" (0876111673)
- "Maps of Texas and the Southwest, 1513-1900", from "Martin, James" (087611169X)
- "A Breed So Rare: The Life of J. R. Parten, Liberal Texas Oil Man, 1896-1992", from "Carleton, Don E." (0876111665)
- "The Old Army in Texas: A Research Guide to the U.S. Army in Nineteenth Century Texas", from "Smith, Thomas T." (0876111703)
- "The La Salle Expedition to Texas: The Journal of Henri Joutel, 1684-1687", from "Joutel, Henri" (0876111657)
- "Civil War Texas: A History and a Guide", from "Wooster, Ralph A." (0876111711)