Detailseite wird geladen...
This is the first book-length study of the crucial relationship between sport and the political and imaginative literature of Renaissance England. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, educators, medical practitioners, and military scientists were among the many contemporaries who praised sport as necessary and functional - physiologically beneficial to the individual practitioner, vital. This is the first book-length study of the crucial relationship between sport and the political and imaginative literature of Renaissance England. In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, educators, medical practitioners, and military scientists were among the many contemporaries who praised sport as necessary and functional - physiologically beneficial to the individual practitioner, vital to the preparedness of the military, and necessary to the maintenance of traditional class hierarchy. Sport's significance in the period is perhaps best registered by its literal and metaphorical centrality in such popular works of literature as Shakespeare's histories, Walton's Compleat Angler, and Milton's Samson Agonistes, as well as its prominence in ecclesiastical and secular legislation and polemics. By reconstructing a cultural history of sport and investigating representations of it in contemporary prose, poetry, and drama, the book demonstrates sport's pivotal position in the interlocking spheres of Renaissance science, politics, and art. Gregory M. Colon Semenza is Assistant Professor of English at the University of Connecticut. Books, Poetry and Drama~~Literature - History & Criticism~~Literary Studies: General, Sport, Politics, And Literature In The English Renaissance~~Book~~9780874138443~~Gregory M. Colon Semenza, , , , , , , , , ,, [PU: University of Delaware Press]
MPN: , SKU 17935668 Shipping costs:zzgl. Versandkosten, plus shipping costs
Details of the book - Sport, Politics, and Literature in the English Renaissance
EAN (ISBN-13): 9780874138443
ISBN (ISBN-10): 0874138442
Book in our database since 11.11.2007 06:08:46
Book found last time on 26.11.2015 01:19:01
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "Centered on the Word: Literature, Scripture, and the Tudor-Stuart Middle Way", from "Christopher Hodgkins, Daniel W. Doerksen" (0874138434)
- "Between Genders: Narrating Difference in Early French Modernism", from "Nathaniel Wing" (0874138450)
- "John Dryden (1631-1700): His Politics, His Plays, and His Poets", from "Rawson, Claude (EDT)/ Santesso, Aaron (EDT)" (0874138426)
- "Dynamism of Character in Shakespeare's Mature Tragedies", from "Sadowski, Piotr" (0874138469)
- "A Traitor and a Scoundrel: Benjamin Hedrick and the Cost of Dissent", from "Smith, Michael Thomas" (0874138418)
- "Mapping Discord: Allegorical Cartography in Early Modern French Writing", from "Peters, Jeffrey N." (0874138477)