- 9780268034832 Church and Galileo (McMullin, Ernan)
- 9780268034849 Church and Galileo (McMullin, Ernan)
Detailseite wird geladen...
[ED: Hardcover], [PU: CAMBRIDGE UNIV PR], This book questions the traditional 'grand narratives' of science and religion in the seventeenth century. The binary oppositions underlying the story - between reason and faith, between knowledge and authority, between scripture and the light of nature - have moulded it into a formative myth: the banner of modern rationalism, liberalism and individualism. While deconstructing the oppositions behind the conflict, the book offers an analysis of the complex power/knowledge field in which the drama of Galileo and the Church unfolded. The act of silencing exemplified in the trials of Galileo is in no need of demonstration. It has been so imprinted in our consciousness that to reassert it is to state the obvious. The author's story is not about the repression of truth by religious authority. It is the story of an encounter between different types of power/knowledge structures within the framework of a dialogical model. Table of contents: Part I. The 'Trials of Galileo': 1. The Galileo affair: an interpretation of an historical event 2. 1616 3. 1633 Part II: The Culture of the Counter Reformation: 4. The Council of Trent: the doctrinarian phase of the Counter Reformation 5. The Dominicans: a traditional intellectual elite of the Catholic Church 6. The Jesuits: an alternative intellectual elite 7. Freedom and authority in Jesuit culture 8. The Thomist boundaries of Jesuit education 9. Dominicans and Jesuits: a struggle for theological hegemony Part III: Galileo and the Church: 10. Traditionalist interpretations of Copernicanism: from an unproven to an unprovable doctrine 11. Copernicanism and the Jesuits 12. The cultural field of Galileo and the Jesuits 13. The dispute on sunspots. This book questions the traditional 'grand narratives' of science and religion in the seventeenth century. The well-known contradictions between the documents of Galileo's 'trials' are reread as expressions of the contradictory nature of the Counter Reformation Church. This book questions the traditional 'grand narratives' of science and religion in the seventeenth century. 313 pages Versandfertig in über 4 Wochen, [SC: 0.00], Neuware, gewerbliches Angebot
buecher.de GmbH & Co. KG
Shipping costs:Versandkostenfrei, Versand nach Deutschland (EUR 0.00)
This book questions the traditional ´grand narratives´ of science and religion in the seventeenth century. Political Inquisition Or Critical Dialogue? Buch (fremdspr.) Bücher>Fremdsprachige Bücher>Englische Bücher, Cambridge University Press
No. 5191826 Shipping costs:, Versandfertig in 1 - 2 Wochen, DE (EUR 0.00)
Galileo and the Church Political Inquisition or Critical Dialogue? Author :Rivka Feldhay 9780521344685 0521344689, [PU: Cambridge University Press]
new Shipping costs: EUR 0.00
1995, ISBN: 9780521344685
Hardcover, Buch, [PU: Cambridge University Press]
Shipping costs:Versand in 15-20 Tagen, , Versandkostenfrei innerhalb der BRD (EUR 0.00)
Galileo And Church Hb editado por Cambridge, [PU: Cambridge University Press]
ENG Shipping costs:zzgl. Versandkosten, plus shipping costs
Galileo and the Church: Political Inquisition or Critical Dialogue?
Details of the book - Galileo and the Church: Political Inquisition or Critical Dialogue?
EAN (ISBN-13): 9780521344685
ISBN (ISBN-10): 0521344689
Publishing year: 1995
Publisher: CAMBRIDGE UNIV PR
Weight: 0,590 kg
Book in our database since 17.10.2007 15:43:43
Book found last time on 23.02.2017 12:20:24
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "The Mediterranean City in Transition: Social Change and Urban Development (Cambridge Human Geography)", from "Lila Leontidou, Brian Robson;David Ley;Derek Gregory" (0521344670)
- "Turkish Foreign Policy during the Second World War: An 'Active' Neutrality (LSE Monographs in International Studies)", from "Selim Deringil" (0521344662)
- "Cicero: De re publica: Selections (Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics)", from "Marcus Tullius Cicero, James E. G. Zetzel" (0521344654)
- "Shakespeare on the German Stage: Volume 1, 1586-1914", from "Simon Williams" (0521344646)
- "Planned Economies", from "Edited by: John P. Hardt , Edited by: Carl H. McMillan" (0521344611)
- "The Soviet Union: Party and Society (International Council for Central and East European Studies).", from "Peter J. Potichnyj, R. C. Elwood" (0521344603)