Detailseite wird geladen...
[SR: 12055643], Hardcover, [EAN: 9780312173661], St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Press, Book, [PU: St. Martin's Press], St. Martin's Press, Canon Sheehan's writings provide valuable insight into Ireland's difficult process of cultural reconstruction after independence. This astute observer of Irish society was pessimistic about the future of religion. Though himself a man of European culture, he made a case for isolationism to become reality under the Free State. It is a case which today is easily scorned - but his works allow us to understand why it could command such support, and to appreciate its relative historical justification. His particular concern lay in overcoming the social stigma attached to Catholicism and in incalcating in his readers a sense of pride in their religious heritage as the essence of their national identity. His position bears a close resemblance to that of the eighteenth century Anglo-Irish formulators of Irish nationalism, who also assumed that the right of their 'nation' to cultural supremacy was self-evident., 12292, Catholicism, 172803, Mariology, 12300, Popes & the Vatican, 12302, Roman Catholicism, 12304, Saints, 12306, Self Help, 12455, Theology, 12290, Christian Books & Bibles, 1000, Subjects, 283155, Books, 172806, Literature & Fiction, 9059875011, African American, 68180, Biblical Fiction, 7259430011, Classics & Allegories, 7259431011, Collections & Anthologies, 7259433011, Fantasy, 7259434011, Historical, 332929011, Mystery & Suspense, 12348, Poetry, 332930011, Romance, 332928011, Science Fiction, 7259435011, Westerns, 12290, Christian Books & Bibles, 1000, Subjects, 283155, Books, 10159367011, British & Irish, 271602011, European, 10159358011, Regional & Cultural, 10204, History & Criticism, 17, Literature & Fiction, 1000, Subjects, 283155, Books, 10016, British & Irish, 10088, Contemporary, 2162, Dramas & Plays, 10090, Historical, 9805, Horror, 16004661, Humor & Satire, 10159404011, Literature, 10096, Poetry, 10183895011, Shakespeare, 17, Literature & Fiction, 1000, Subjects, 283155, Books, 271628011, Nationalism, 11088, Ideologies & Doctrines, 5571255011, Politics & Government, 3377866011, Politics & Social Sciences, 1000, Subjects, 283155, Books
Gebraucht Shipping costs:plus shipping costs
Details of the book - Catholic Nationalism in the Irish Revival: A Study of Canon Sheehan, 1852-1913
ISBN (ISBN-10): 0312173660
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Book in our database since 25.02.2008 14:31:24
Book found last time on 30.01.2015 19:17:09
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "The Spectre of Babeuf", from "Ian H. Birchall" (0312173652)
- "The Politics of Hong Kong's Reversion to China", from "David Wen-Wei Chang, Richard Y. Chuang, Richard Y. Chaung" (0312173679)
- "ECONOMIC ADJUSTMENTS IN NEW DEMOCRACIES: Lessons from Southern Eu", from "Diane Ethier, Diane Ethier" (9780312173685)
- "Resistance, Parody, and Double Consciousness in African American Theatre, 1895-1910", from "Krasner, David" (0312173636)
- "Russian Business Relationships in the Wake of Reform (St Antony's Series)", from "Noreena Hertz" (0312173695)
- "Joining Europe's Monetary Club: The Challenges for Smaller Member States", from "Francisco Torres, Frieden" (0312173628)