This volume assembles new thinking on the theory, practice, and cultural value of the history of literary criticism. Focusing on a theme that has attracted relatively little developed theoretical commentary hitherto, the authors of these essays draw on specialist areas of critical history - and different kinds of problems - to illustrate the paradoxes that attend any attempt to write the history of critical writing. Commentary begins with medieval literary theory, explores the social dimension of restoration criticism, the relations between poetry and criticism, and a test case in eighteenth-century criticism's reception aesthetics. Other essays consider relations between eighteenth-century critical and literary history, between romanticism and New Historicism, and the various ways in which present and past criticism is interrelated. In an introduction to the volume, the editor calls for a clearer confrontation with the representational issues of critical history by those who write about the critical past. Philip Smallwood is Professor of English at the University of Central England. Books Poetry and Drama~~Literature - History & Criticism~~Literary Studies: General Critical Pasts~~Book~~9780838755952 This volume assembles new thinking on the theory, practice, and cultural value of the history of literary criticism. Focusing on a theme that has attracted relatively little developed theoretical commentary hitherto, the authors of these essays illustrate the paradoxes that attend any attempt to write the history of critical writing.
Shipping costs:plus shipping costs
2004, ISBN: 9780838755952
Softcover, Buch, [PU: Bucknell University Press,U.S.]
Shipping costs:Versand in 10-15 Tagen, , Versandkostenfrei innerhalb der BRD (EUR 0.00)
Critical Pasts: Writing Criticism/Writing History
Details of the book - Critical Pasts: Writing Criticism/Writing History
EAN (ISBN-13): 9780838755952
ISBN (ISBN-10): 083875595X
Publishing year: 2004
Publisher: Bucknell University Press,U.S.
Book in our database since 14.11.2007 10:10:07
Book found last time on 26.07.2015 10:34:41
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "Voices from the Fuente Viva: The Effect of Orality in Twentieth-Century Spanish American Narrative", from "Millay, Amy Nauss" (0838755941)
- "Traces of Contamination: Unearthing the Francoist Legacy in Contemporary Spanish Discourse", from "Merino, Eloy E. / Song, H. Rosi" (9780838755969)
- "Monkey Farm: A History of the Yerkes Laboratories of Primate Biology, Orange Park, Florida, 1930-"1965", from "Dewsbury, Donald A." (0838755933)
- "Better in France?: The Circulation of Ideas Across the Channel in the Eighteenth Century" (0838755976)
- "Borges and Translation: The Irreverence of the Periphery", from "Waisman, Sergio" (9780838755921)
- "The Poetry of Ana Maria Fagundo: A Bilingual Anthology", from "Fagundo, Ana Maria" (0838755984)