This book describes the basic facilities required for surgery on farm animals. The approach and selection of animals for experiments is defined, and animal welfare is discussed. Instructions are given for the catheterization of blood vessels to allow collection of specific blood samples or to make defined infusions into an organ or gland. The surgical exteriorization of vessels in skin-covered loops is described, as well as fistulation of the alimentary tract, allowing sampling of the digested contents and providing access to the secretions from the ducted glands. Direction to obtain access to the lymphatic system for the implantation of electrodes in the smooth muscle of the intestine, and for the excision of endocrine gland and the physical transplantation of the glands to provide access to their blood supply are given. Surgery of the uterus and of the fetus is described. The book advocates the highest standard of endeavor in the pursuit of research objectives requiring the use of surgical preparation in the experimental farm animal. Most of the techniques described have been successfully performed by the author and provide satisfactory survival and standard repeatable animal preparations. This reduces the possible suffering of the experimental animal and the number of animals required to obtain meaningful results. It also enhances the scientific value by the repeatability of the results. Surgical Techniques in Experimental Farm Animals Harrison, F. A. / Harrison, Fa Surgical Techniques in Experimental Farm Animals describes humane surgical techniques to obtain blood, lymph, and digestive samples from specific organs of experimental farm animals while they remain conscious. Supplemented with 146 illustrations, the book also covers selection and supply of animals, basic surgical requirements, specific surgical outlines, and animal welfare.
Shipping costs:plus shipping costs
Surgical Techniques in Experimental Farm Animals
Details of the book - Surgical Techniques in Experimental Farm Animals
EAN (ISBN-13): 9780198542582
ISBN (ISBN-10): 0198542585
Book in our database since 18.05.2007 22:04:23
Book found last time on 13.03.2015 13:43:21
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "Plantation Forestry in the Tropics: Tree Planting for Industrial, Social, Environmental, and Agroforestry Purposes", from "Evans, Julian" (0198542577)
- from "strange" (0198542593)
- "Oxford Surveys on Eukaryotic Genes", from "Norman Maclean" (9780198542568)
- "Oxford Surveys on Eukaroyotic Genes, 1989: 6 (Oxford Surveys on Eukaryotic Genes)", from "Norman MacLean" (0198542550)
- "The Neurobiology of Memory: Concepts, Findings, Trends", from "Dudai, Yadin" (0198542615)
- "Cellular Variation and Adaptation in Cancer: Biological Basis and Therapeutic Consequences", from "Woodruff, Michael" (0198542542)