"The morning I died it rained. Poured down so hard it washed the blood off my face". Thus begins the story of Lori Jean, whose short life and death are woven into this poignant, heart-wrenching novel set in the rural South of the 1950s. Told from the point of view of ten-year-old Lori Jean, a sensitive dreamer of a child who longs for a "normal" family, Roseflower Creek is raw with the emotions of a child burdened by the harshness of her life. Abandoned by her father when she was five, her world is filled with a self-absorbed mother who can't seem to hold her life together and an abusive, alcoholic stepfather who can't -- or won't -- keep a steady job. Yet Lori Jean is filled with the curiosity and hope common to all children. After Lori's Jean's stepfather, Ray, begins attending AA meetings, he seems like a changed man, and Lori Jean begins to think that finally she and her mama are going to experience some long-overdue happiness -- be a real family. But tragedy strikes anew, and Ray, unable to cope, returns to the bottle and his shiftless ways. Fired from his job at the cotton mill, he resorts to stealing, and when Lori Jean uncovers his secret, things begin to spiral out of control. Unable to keep silent, Lori Jean pays the ultimate price for what she knows. Poignant and bittersweet, Roseflower Creek is a story of the loss of innocence. Told with an honesty and authenticity that only a child narrator could achieve, it is a remarkable first novel that will move readers with profound emotions and haunt them long after the last paragraph has been read. Roseflower Creek Miles, J. L. A ten-year-old girl is burdened with the harshness of her family's existence, made worse by her father's alcoholism, unemployment and eventual violence.
Shipping costs:plus shipping costs
Details of the book - Roseflower Creek
EAN (ISBN-13): 9781581822403
ISBN (ISBN-10): 1581822405
Publisher: Cumberland House Publishing
Book in our database since 22.12.2007 10:40:42
Book found last time on 13.03.2015 18:35:03
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "Christopher's Summer: A Father and Son Explore the Mysteries of Life and Death", from "DUGAN, JEFFREY S." (1581822391)
- "New Southern Basics: Traditional Southern Food for Today", from "Stamps, Martha Phelps; Phelps Stamps, Martha" (1581822413)
- "White House Pet Detectives: Tales of Crime and Mysteryat the White House from a Pet's-Eye View", from "Herausgeber: Douglas, Carole Nelson" (158182243X)
- "The Hearthside Book of Bible Quotations: A Quick-Reference Guide to Familiar Bible Verses", from "Manser, Martin H." (9781581822366)
- "I Remember Dale Earnhardt: Personal Memories of and Testimonials to Stock Car Racing's Most Beloved Driver, as Told by the People Who Knew Him Be", from "Tom Gillispie" (1581822448)
- "Daily Guidance: Prayers & Meditations for Every Day of the Year", from "Herausgeber: Manser, Martin H." (1581822359)