Sointula - it means harmony - is a tiny community on Malcolm Island, a short ferry ride from northern Vancouver Island. It was founded at the turn of the century by the Kalevan Kansa Society, a group of Finnish utopians, and Matti Kurikka, their charismatic but impractical leader. Despite serious setbacks, including a disastrous fire in 1903 that killed eleven people, the Finns built a thriving community. Even after the Kalevan Kansa ended, locals were blackballed all along the coast for their fervour in organizing loggers'' and fishermen''s unions. A fresh wave of utopians arrived in Sointula in the 1960s, and while they were shunned by many residents, some of the older generation recognized in the hippies the hopes and dreams of their forefathers.Paula Wild lived in Sointula for many years. In researching her book, she talked to more than forty residents and translated innumerable Finnish documents and letters. Paula Wild, Books, History, Sointula: An Island Utopia Books>History The story of Canada's socialist-utopian community. Now in Tradepaper!
Shipping costs:plus shipping costs
2007, ISBN: 1550174568, Lieferbar binnen 4-6 Wochen Shipping costs:Versandkostenfrei innerhalb der BRD
Internationaler Buchtitel. In englischer Sprache. Verlag: HARBOUR PUB CO LTD, 223 Seiten, L=228mm, B=153mm, H=14mm, Gew.=372gr, [GR: 23160 - TB/Reiseführer/Kunstreiseführer/Nordamerika], [SW: - Travel - Foreign], Kartoniert/Broschiert, Klappentext: The story of Canada's socialist-utopian community. Now in Tradepaper! The story of Canada's socialist-utopian community. Now in Tradepaper!
Lieferbar binnen 4-6 Wochen (Besorgungstitel) Shipping costs:Versandkostenfrei innerhalb der BRD
The story of Canada's socialist-utopian community.Now in Tradepaper! Books Books ~~ History~~ Canada ~~ General Sointula~~Paula-Wild Harbour Publishing Company, Limited The story of Canada's socialist-utopian community. Now in Tradepaper!
Free Shipping on eligible orders over $25 Shipping costs:plus shipping costs
Sointula: Island Utopia
Details of the book - Sointula: Island Utopia
EAN (ISBN-13): 9781550174564
ISBN (ISBN-10): 1550174568
Publishing year: 2007
Publisher: HARBOUR PUB CO LTD
Weight: 0,372 kg
Book in our database since 15.11.2007 19:59:49
Book found last time on 22.03.2015 05:08:05
ISBN - alternate spelling:
< to archive...
- "A Field Guide to Gold, Gemstones and Minerals, Volume 1: Vancouver Island", from "Hudson, Rick" (9781550174557)
- "Remembering Roberts Creek: 1889 - 1955", from "Roberts Creek Historical Committee; Roberts Creek Historical Committee" (9781550174571)
- "What the Bleep Is Going on Here?", from "Mair, Rafe" (9781550174588)
- "The Beachcomber's Guide to Seashore Life in the Pacific Northwest", from "Sept, J. Duane" (9781550174533)
- "Fortune's a River: The Collision of Empires in Northwest America", from "Gough, Barry" (9781550174595)
- "Jedediah Days: One Woman's Island Paradise", from "Palmer, Mary" (9781550174526)